The hardware clipboard allows to move hardware from one "owner" object to another - much
like the cut/paste operation under your favorite text editor. This dialog can be accessed by clicking
the clipboard icon in an "Assign Hardware" dialog.
The dialog works by preforming steps in sequence:
Note, that you can stop the process by closing the window (hardware will remain in the clipboard
indefinitely, and is not dependent of the user's session. Also, the clipboard is shared between all
Inventory users - so keep in mind you may see items there that other people moved inside).
Alternately you can also restart the process by clicking the clipboard icon, and you'll start again at
- When opening the dialog (or when pressing the clipboard icon top left) you'll be
presented with a list of hardware currently assigned to the clipboard. (This is done
from the "Assign Hardware" dialog).
- You can then choose hardware from this dialog by putting a check mark in the checkbox
on the left side of each row.
- To assign the selected hardware, you first need to choose which type of item you'd like
to move the hardware to. This is done from the listbox presented on the bottom of the list.
You then click the "Assign" button
- Next, you'll be presented with a listbox of items (of the type chosen in the previous
step), from it you need to choose the item to which you want to assign the hardware.
- Click the "Assign" button to finish the assignment process: the selected hardware
is now moved to the target object.