The Licenses menu allows management of licenses you own.
There are two kinds of licenses that the inventory system handels. The first kind is OS license - this type of license is used when we want to assign a license to a known Operating System in inventory this functionality is handeld in the
Operating Systems add section. The second kind of license is software license this type of license is
for all known softwares in inventory and is assigned in the adding Software to OS section.
both kinds of licneses are automaticaly incremented and decremented by the system when assigning and deleting these license records
from an OS or Software.
You can perform the following operations on License:
- licenses List
The list is the default view, it shows the list of all known licenses in the inventory system.
The List allows access to view, edit and delete functionality for each License.
- Viewing a License
Viewing a License is done through the list; Full information displays on the right with the option
to view all OS where this license was assigned.
- Adding a License
Clicking the "Add" button will show the add dialog:
- Company - requires the Company name that supplies that license (e.g. Microsoft)
- Software - requires the name of the software that the License is intended for; this can be
an OS, a service or specific software
- Version - requires the version of the software that the License applys to.
- This is an OS license - a check box that specifies if the current license is a regular software license or an OS license.
- Total - number of total licenses in the group that was purchased. Putting zero in this feild will create unlimited number of licenses.
- Used: - number of already used licenses from the group that was purchased.
the Used field should not be played with unless the user knows what he is doing.
This Field will automatically be modified when assigning and deleting a licnese record.
- Vendor - the name of the vendor from whom the license was purchased.
- Purchased - the date of purchase .
- Expires - You can specify here the expiration of the license by choosing a time period
from the listbox, and entering the amount in the edit field. This was you can fill in values like:
6 months, 3 years, 90 days and so on.
- License key - the serial or serials of the specified license.
These serials would only be visible to a user with edit premmisons or higher
- Editing a License
The edit dialog is similar to the Add dialog, and is accessed by clicking on the desired license
in list view, and then clicking the edit button in the top toolbar.
- Deleting a Patch
License deletion is also standard. Note, that when deleting a license record all licenses of this kind
installed in OS records will also be deleted.